I am looking forward to a wonderful week! Thanks again for attending your child's conference last week. I really am so proud of all they are accomplishing daily and it was wonderful to get to share that with you.
We have a lot going on this week. We are starting our Ford Foundation “Big Heads” Fundraiser. The kids had a pep rally to kick this off on Friday of last week. This will be going on all week and will end on Monday, October 30 . This information was passed out at your child’s conference. I told the kids about our classroom incentives for donations on Monday. Please remember that this is Ford Elementary School's one fundraiser for the year and that 100% of the money raised goes directly to our school. Any donation will be greatly appreciated.
This Wednesday, we will have an Earth Lesson outdoors on the Nature Trail. Make sure your child has a lightweight jacket or sweater and tennis shoes on. It can be chilly in the morning on the trail and it is very shady too.
We will be busy this week with some fun, seasonal activities for language arts and incorporating a mini study/informational writing on “Bats”. A new language arts skill that we will introduce will be ABC order. In math, we will continue to work on addition strategies by introducing two new addition strategies-doubles to add and identifying near doubles to add.
By the way, I loved the Character Pumpkins! The kids loved hearing about each other’s pumpkins and they were sooooo proud of their own. Many of them were getting ideas for some new reading material. They were very complimentary of each other and that was very sweet! Job Well Done!
Here's to lots of great learning and growing this week! Take care and thanks for ALL you do!
- *Read 15 minutes nightly and record on Reading Log.
- *Get Bragging Behavior Sheet signed daily.
- Study for Mad Minute Math Quiz on Thursday. (Do not return practice sheet, it is just for your practice at home.)
- Homework Packet due on Friday.
- Monday, October 23-30th: Big Head Fundraiser Campaign
- Monday, October 23rd: Ford Canned Food Drive begins
- Tuesday, October 31st: Happy Halloween! Ford Foundation- dress up in Halloween Costume for $2 donation. Please no scary costumes or props/accessories-keep it kid friendly. This is per administration request.
- Friday, November 3rd: Ford Family BINGO Night (6:00-7:30pm)
- Week of November 6th: Spelling Homework begins. Check out spellingcity.com which is on my blog for fun, innovative ways to practice each week's words. Spelling Tests will be on Fridays.
- Tuesday, November 7th: Teacher Workday and Student Holiday
- Thursday, November 10th: STEM Night at Ford (6:00-7:30pm) and The Ford Giving Tree begins
- Tuesday, November 14th-Thursday, November 16th: Thanksgiving Feasts during lunchtime (Schedule of times and grade levels to come.)
- Math: Chapter 3: Addition Strategies: Solving: adding with doubles and near doubles and fact families (related addition and subtraction facts)
- Phonics: long e (spelled e, e-consonant-e, ee and ea, ie and -y), vowel controlled r words, and /kw/ sound spelled qu
- Writing: journal and writer’s workshop-informational writing
- Reading: Halloween Themed Books: Haunted House, Haunted Mouse, Hallo-wiener, Where Is My Mummy?, This is the House That the Monsters Built, and Click, Clack, Boo!
- Language Arts: ABC order, Story Mapping (written retelling of a story/book), and nouns
- Daily 5: Read to Self, Read to Someone, Word Work, Work on Writing, and Listen to Reading
- STEM: Magnets and Sounds Journal