We are going to begin working on an Animal Classification Book as our writing for the next few weeks. This week we will research mammals and birds. We will read and research, brainstorm facts, write factual sentences, and illustrate a page to go with each animal group. It is a lot of writing, but the kids are ready for this. I told them that I am really looking for great facts and great sentences. I raise the bar high on this project. I want to see well thought out sentences with capital letters and correct punctuation. If words are on the word wall or on an organizer to help them, they need to be spelled correctly. And they need to make sure that their handwriting is “2nd Grade Worthy and neatly done”. Every year my class exceeds my expectations and I have no doubt these guys and gals will too!
This week is the Scholastic Book Fair. This is a great opportunity to grab up some new reading materials for all ages-board books for the little preschoolers, elementary school books, books for tweens, and even books for adults. We previewed today. It runs through Friday and is open during the school day and up until 4pm today through Thursday and closes early at 11am on Friday.
Our upcoming Field Trip to Zoo Atlanta is coming up on Wednesday, March 27th. It’s not too late for any parent or even grandparent who wants to go to come along. The price is $10 for chaperones unless you have a Zoo Atlanta Membership. The only glitch is that you will need to drive or carpool as we cannot accommodate adults on the bus other than the staff. BUT, we always have people who carpool. I did that myself one year when one of my own children went to the zoo. I’m not a fan of driving in Atlanta, but I am a fan of Zoo Atlanta! Come go with us if you can!
Take care and have a wonderful week!
- Scholastic Book Fair- March 11-15
- Early Release Day- March 13 (dismissal at 12:30pm)
- Spring Picture Day-March 19th
- Three Piggy Opera- March 21st during MUSIC/Specials time (1:15-2pm) in Mr. Hurley’s Music Classroom
- Zoo Atlanta Field Trip- March 27
- Spring Break: April 1-5th
This Week in First Grade:
- Phonics: review of oi/oy, -er and -est endings, consonant digraphs, and words with multiple syllables
- Math: St. Patrick’s Day Themed Math Review: addition with 3 numbers, word problems, missing addends, place value, and graphing and data
- Writing: journal, St. Patrick’s Day Lucky Writing
- Science: Animal Classifications Book (Mammals and Birds)
We have our normal nightly homework packet due Friday, our Mad Minute Math Quiz on Thursday and our Spelling Test on Friday.
*Don’t forget to read nightly and record on the Reading Log and to initial your child’s Bragging Behavior Sheet in the Blue Folder.