What a way to start off the second week of January 2018 with a day off! I'm glad that the county played it safe with the thought of icy roads. A repeat of the craziness of last month on December 8th would not have been good. Better to be safe always!
Last week was such a good week all be it a short one of two days! The kid were so great about getting right back in there and working hard! I told them that they are what I refer to this time of year as "2Gs in T's" or 2nd Graders in Training. We are in the second half of the year, so we have to be thinking and behaving like an "Almost 2nd Grader". This means they have to step up to the "big kid" plate. No doubt this precious group can do it and as always they will handle this challenge like pros! I've told them that my expectations are greater, but I have to expect more to have them ready.
This nine weeks, we are lengthening the amount of our writing when we write and fine-tuning our handwriting so that it is neat and legible. As we enter the second half of the year we also need to work on correct letter formation in terms of how we write letters in our words and no more letter reversals (especially b’s and d’s). Correct capitalization and punctuation usage is very important in our writing too.
One way to help at home is to stay on top of their daily reading homework. The kids have and continue to make such incredible gains in both their reading fluency and comprehension skills. Never underestimate the importance of this. Make sure this is a priority each day. Also, keep practicing those math facts for fluency. Keep up the momentum this second half of the year.
Here's to a great week! Thanks for ALL you do!
- *Read 15 minutes nightly and record on Reading Log.
- *Get Bragging Behavior Sheet signed daily.
- Study for Mad Minute Math Quiz on Thursday. (Do not return practice sheet, it is just for your practice at home.)
- Homework Packet due on Friday.
- Thursday, January 11th: Publix Math Night (at Brookstone Publix 6:30-8pm)
- Monday, January 15th: Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday (No school for students and staff)
- Saturday, January 20th: Sparkles Skating Rink Spirit Day ( 11am-3pm)
- Math: Chapter 5: Greater than, less than, and equal to (comparing numbers 0-120)
- Phonics: au sound, "oo" as in boot, review of long u spellings, and "oo" as in brook
- Writing: Journal writing and Informational Writing on Penguins
- Social Studies and Language Arts Integration: Theodore Roosevelt
- Daily 5: Read to Self, Read to Someone, Word Work, Work on Writing, and Listen to Reading
- Spelling: he, was, for, seven, fall, do, his, like, purple, and that