It has been a very busy past two weeks in our class! We have been talking a lot about what we are thankful for with Thanksgiving upon us. The kids were so genuine and truthful about all that they are thankful for. I am so touched by the people in their lives that they are most thankful for. This just goes to show that children treasure more of the things that are not bought by money like the hugs and kisses, the stories read and told to them, the silly times, etc. It truly is the people in their lives both family and friends that mean the most to them. This makes my heart so happy! I am thankful that I get to see this beautiful example of preciousness in my students!
I am looking forward to seeing you at the Ford Friends and Family Thanksgiving Feast on Tuesday. I know the kids will be very excited to have you there. Our Cafeteria Staff does such a nice job hosting this event every year. You may want to plan on arriving about 10 minutes early to avoid parking issues. You can meet us in the hallway nearest the cafeteria. Our time is 10:45-11:30am.
I want to brag on how well your sweeties have been doing on their Mad Minute Math Quizzes. They are making great progress each week! This past Friday, they really ROCKED on their first spelling test as well! I was so proud of all the 3’s and 3+’s! Keep up all that great studying!
I also wanted to update you on the Canned Food Drive. We are just at 4,000 cans short of our school goal and our class is in second place for 1st Grade! This is so awesome! Just think of all the lives that will be touched by the generosity of our Ford Students. What a wonderful way for our children to learn about the importance of giving to others! On that note, we have a Giving Tree in our front lobby at Ford. Once again, we have the opportunity to give to those in need by taking a star from the tree and purchasing the item for a family/child in need during the Holiday Season.
Here’s a look at what we will be doing and what’s coming up:
- *Read 15 minutes nightly and record on Reading Log.
- *Get Bragging Behavior Sheet signed daily.
- Study for Mad Minute Math Quiz on Thursday. (Do not return practice sheet, it is just for your practice at home.)
- Study for Spelling Test on Friday.
- Homework Packet is due on Friday! Please do not turn in before Friday.
Curriculum this week:
- Math: Word Problems with missing addends (sums to 20)
- Phonics: long o patterns (-oe, -ow, and –oa) and long u patterns (-ew and –ue)
- Language Arts: ABC order and nouns
- Reading: Thanksgiving Books (Fiction and Non-Fiction)-Story Mapping and retelling
- Writing: seasonal, journal, and Informational Writing (using a Four Square Graphic Organizer to pre-write and final draft)
- Health: Nutrition (Healthy Foods)
- STEM Journal: Magnets
Dates to Remember:
- Friday, November 10th: Ford Giving Tree begins (see the Christmas tree in the front hallway)
- Tuesday, November 14th-Thursday, November 166h: Ford’s Friends and Family Feast Dates (our class’ date is Tuesday, November 14th from 10:45-11:30am)
- Friday, November 17th: First Grade Spirit Day-wear your new 1st Grade Teal T-shirt
- Monday, November 20th-Friday, November 24th: Thanksgiving Holiday Break
- Saturday, December 2nd: 7th Annual Jingle Jog (See Ford Website for more information and registration.)
- Monday, December 4th-December 6th Holiday Shop at Ford ES
- Friday, December 8th: Giving Tree Ends
- Tuesday, December 19th: Class Holiday Party (9:00-10:00am) All parents are invited.
- Tuesday, December 19th and Wednesday, December 20th : Early Release 12:15pm
- Thursday, December 21st: Winter Vacation Begins!
From my family to yours, I want to wish you a very blessed and joyous Thanksgiving! I hope that you will enjoy some special time with your precious families during this break!
Thanks for all you do!